Saturday, August 6, 2011

Prairie Queen Quilt Block





     For this 6" block, taken from The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt by Laurie Aaron Hird, I used wildflower fabric to go along with the idea of the Prairie Queen.  I think you end up seeing the columbines more than you see the actual quilt block pattern!  The pattern for a 12" block may be found free at The Quilter's Cache website here.
     This entry will be the last one from the story my grandmother wrote about her father.  In it, she describes her new step-mother, Louise Daniels Woodbury.  From now on, all excerpts will be from her 1916 Diary. 

from A Kansas Yankee by Harriet Woodbury George -

"With her good help, we moved into the new home quite gradually as we did not have to pack and unpack since we lived so near.  We could carry over a few items when it was convenient.  George and Anna were very dear to her, and they responded to her.  Since Mamma was so ill when they were babies, she was not able to mother them.  Mary had cared for them, helping the nurse we had the first year or more.  Of course, we all helped as they grew.  Mother Nelle (Daniels) had lost her little daughter with typhoid fever suddenly at age twelve or thirteen and a little son, also.  Her older son was grown and married but died before we knew her.  Her husband, J. F. Daniels, had died suddenly also several years before we knew her.  She had no other family or relatives in the U.S.A. but many friends when she came to us.

"She was not hesitant to know what to do in any situation, was a fast worker, careful housekeeper and a fine cook.  She was born in Germany, but her parents died when she was small and she had come to America to live with an aunt in Chicago.  She had never had much schooling (as she worded it) and spoke her native language mixed in with her English, but we never failed to understand her meaning.  She had a quick temper at times and had a few strict rules for us which was good - but also a jolly laugh more often." 

My cousin George reminded me of a story that my dad tells about Louise Daniels Woodbury, his grandmother, that illustrates what a careful housekeeper she was.  In his words: "I always stayed with my grandparents for the month of June from the time I was 4 until age 12, when I became old enough to work in the fields.  One time when I was staying at their home, I dropped a piece of lemon pie face down on the rug.  I got a broom and dustpan to clean it up when my grandmother said (in her heavy German accent), 'What are you doing?  You will not sweep that up.  You will eat that pie.  My floors are clean!'  I did what I was told and ate that pie."                  

You might enjoy reading my previous blog entry:
http://starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2011/08/steps-to-altar-quilt-block.html                    

4 comments:

  1. The last?! Ugh! I want to read more! What a treasure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will include an excerpt from my grandmother's 1916 diary with each blog entry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely wonderful! Am going back to catch up and will read on...

    ReplyDelete
  4. People often suffered a lot more tragedy in life than we do these days, didn't they? So many people died young. So many parents lost children. But I'm glad your grandmother's stepmother found your great-grandfather! Glad for both of them, and for the children, too. Life got better -- happier -- after that, didn't it?

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!