Friday, December 16, 2011

Envelope Motif Quilt Block


     My grandmother wrote so many letters that I had to include this 12" Envelope Motif block in my quilt.  I found the pattern at http://www.quilterscache.com/E/EnvelopeMotifBlock.html 
     In these diary entries, Henrietta is a friend who has been visiting from Emporia.  Orvel is a hired man, close to Hattie's age.  Ruth is Hattie's sister, just two and a half years older.   
    
Tuesday, May 16, 1916 -
"I have sure felt the effects of my horseback ride today!  My back has been so stiff and sore, and we have had lots of work to do - washing, baking, and scrubbing, besides other things.  Henrietta was right - I am either sunburned or else her wonderful 'paint box' is working on me.  Mother said my nose was red like I had been on a 'toot.'

"I intended to go to bed real early.  Came up here about 8 o'clock and have been writing. Then Orvel brought the mail - a letter from Ruth and some candy. 

"It has been a lovely day and is one fine large night out.  Being as how it is 9:20, I am going to bed and try to get rid of this 'back.'"

Wednesday, May 17, 1916 -
"My 'back' is gone today, but I still feel somewhat 'spread out' as the result of that big saddle.  I have worked quite industriously today, ironing, churning, etc., but I am not nearly so tired as yesterday...

"I began a letter to Ruth, but I have so much to say I'll probably be writing it all week.  I did a very crazy thing today (to say the least).  I buried a certain little stick with some carving on it!  But I got tired of seeing it lay around." 

Thursday, May 18, 1916 -
"I have been writing some more on the letter to Ruth.  I don't know when I'll get it finished.

"Papa went to Emporia today, and I had to take him to the train.  I wasn't in the village long - there wasn't much doing.  Alpha was making herself a waist in their store, and when I went to McGregor's there were three Hattie's present - Hattie Reese, Mrs. Elmore, and myself - so I didn't stay there long...

"I put my geraniums out and fixed up the porch boxes this P.M., also made a cake while Mother went to town.  It has been a lovely day but is a little cloudy now."   

Aunt Annie's Chocolate Applesauce Cake
Cake:
1/2 cup shortening                                              Topping:
2 eggs                                                                  2 Tablespoons sugar
1-1/2 cups sugar                                                 1/2 cup chopped nuts
2 cups flour                                                          1 cup chocolate chips 
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda                               
3 Tablespoons cocoa                                         
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon                                        
1/2 teaspoon salt                                                
2 cups applesauce                                                  

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2.  For cake, beat together shortening, eggs, and sugar. 
3.  In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, cocoa, cinnamon, and salt.
4.  To the sugar mixture, add dry ingredients alternately with applesauce.  Mix 2-3 minutes.
5.  Pour into greased and floured 9" x 13" pan.
6.  Mix together topping ingredients and spread evenly over cake.  Bake 45 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.  
                from The Woodbury Larder: A Legacy, published by Phyllis Woodbury Bryant
 
You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post:
http://starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2011/12/farmers-fields-quilt-block.html

3 comments:

  1. Hi! Greetings from Finland! Your quilts are so fantastic! It's so nice to find other quilters all around the world! www.quiltworld2.blogspot.com
    Yours, Ulla

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this block design. i can't believe this one hasn't shown up yet in the farmer's wife book under a different name because it looks so familiar. but i must be dreaming :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty block! And I love your posting on the Quiltville list about the children sending and delivering mail at school! How fun!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!