Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Friendship Quilt Block


     I found the pattern for this 6" Friendship quilt block in The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt by Laurie Aaron Hird. 
     In these diary entries, Hattie is in Emporia, Kansas, visiting friends from her high school days there.  "The Turkish" referred to in the June 11 entry is the Turkish Candy Company, a popular hangout. 

Saturday, June 10, 1916 -
"It is after 12:30.  Hen is putting her hair up in curlers, and it's raining!  They haven't anything on me about this raining deal.  It was lovely this morning when I awoke at 5:30 but began to sprinkle about the time Papa and I started for the train.  By 9:40 it was pouring but, very opportunely, Ray Carlson appeared and helped me to the train under his umbrella.  Dorothy met me at the Depot here and before long, Hen and Bing came from school. . . Hen and I laid around and talked until about five o'clock.  Then we went downtown and made a few purchases.  I got a pair of pumps, a middy, and some ribbon for a girdle."
 
Sunday, June 11, 1916 (written later) -
"It certainly seemed good to be in a real church once more, to hear real music and a real sermon.  The anthem and Miss Husband's solo were splendid, and Dr. Culbertson preached the Baccalaureate Sermon as usual in his inspiring way, and it was not too long either. 

"It was quite warm this afternoon.  We put on light dresses. . . As we were invited to Lesta's for supper, Hen and I went up about six.  Alvords have a new Studebaker, so we wanted to go for a ride.  Mr. Leonard was calmly reposing when we drove up somewhat after eight, but Charley and Bing had not appeared.  We sure tore around when they did come.  We shot a cap pistol and fainted and had the others catch us, and we played on the piano, three of us at a time.  Then we went out on the porch, and I had them all excited about the conundrum 'That man's father, etc.'  We laughed until we were positively out of breath over Charlie.  He pretended he knew a joke that Hen and Lesta knew concerning hot chocolate at the Turkish.  He giggled and acted so foolish, and Bing entered in with him, that I came the nearest to dying of laughter that I ever hope to."

You might also enjoy reading my previous post:
http://starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2011/12/hays-corner-quilt-block.html

5 comments:

  1. Very nice block for the meeting of friends. I have not heard that conundrum in a long time if it is the one I am thinking about ... brothers and sisters have I none but that man's father is my father's son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just came across your blog and i must say that i love what you are doing here! creating a beautiful with tons of meaning behind it--perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was particularly interested in Hattie's diary reference to The Turkish, and your mention of the place as a popular hangout. It was still in existence 20 or more years later when I went there as a small boy with my parents to visit for a few minutes with Uncle Ted (i.e., Phillip) Woodbury. I'm more than a bit vague on this, but it is my belief that Ted was manager there, and that the Turkish at that time was owned by his father-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cloyce, you are absolutely right that Uncle Ted was the manager there, and the store was owned by his father-in-law. Thanks so much for giving your insight into this. I so appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!