Friday, January 27, 2012

Harvest Star Quilt Block


     I found the pattern for this Harvest Star block free on-line at:
http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpatternsprojects/ss/holiday_stars_quilt.htm
     In this diary entry, Hattie writes about the oat harvest.  George and Anna are her youngest siblings and 12-year-old twins.  Ruth and Mary are her older sisters who are living in Washington state. 

Friday, June 30, 1916 -
"Thank goodness we have the lights and water in running order again; we learn how to appreciate our conveniences when we have to go without.

"This has been another warm day.  I'm glad I can sleep out on the porch.  But Papa says it has been a fine harvest day.  Jesse Lovell has been here binding the oats, and even George and Anna helped (?) shock.  They asked me to, but I am 'above such shocking business.'

"I haven't felt half so lazy today, but I had a very serious attack of toothache right after dinner, which rendered me much pain most of the afternoon.  But I did some mending, crocheting, and helped with the supper.

"I was very fortunate in receiving three letters this morning.  One from Ruth saying that Mary is getting ready to come home with her next fall.  That's sure good news."

Aunt Mary's Oatmeal Bread
1-1/2 cups boiling water
1 cup rolled oats
2 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup shortening
1/3 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/3 cup dark Karo syrup
2 eggs, beaten
2 Fleishman yeast cakes
6 cups flour

1.  Mix water, oats, salt, and shortening.  Let stand until cool.
2.  Mix in sugars, syrup, eggs, yeast, and flour.  Knead until smooth. 
3.  Let rise one hour.
4.  Mold into two loaves.  Let rise.  Bake one hour at 350 degrees.
             from The Woodbury Larder: A Legacy published by Phyllis Woodbury Bryant

Note:  This recipe assumes knowledge of yeast bread baking.  The linked recipe is similar and has more specific directions.  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/oatmeal-yeast-bread/

You might also enjoy reading my previous blog entry:
http://www.starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2012/01/pig-pen-quilt-block.html

3 comments:

  1. Lovely fabrics!! One of my favorite blocks - I love stars!! Oatmeal bread - gonna make some!!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that that square, i have some unquilted pieces that my mother-ln-law had here that i wont to make something out of maybe for her grandgirls. they are hand stiched

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!