Friday, June 15, 2012

Church Windows Quilt Block


     I found this 12" Church Windows block in 5,500 Quilt Block Designs by Maggie Malone.  I used 100" linen for the background fabric and really enjoyed working with it.  
     Hattie has been dating Frank since June.  He has recently asked her to marry him, and she has not given him an answer yet, telling him she needs more time.  Ted is Hattie's "inquisitive" younger brother! 

Sunday, November 5, 1916 -
"The wind is sure on a tear tonight, but it's clear as can be and oh! so moonlight.  We have been to church where we heard a fine sermon on 'Satan came also.'  Frank said he wouldn't urge me, but he came very near it tonight.  I'm afraid I'm beginning to care terribly, but still I am not in the least hurry.

"The preacher took up a contribution for some new song books this morning.  He said they were 25 cents apiece and said for the men that had wives or intended to have one soon, to give 50 cents.  Ted told me before we got halfway home that Frank gave 50 cents.  But he (Frank) told me tonight that he had intended to until the preacher said that, and Ted, who was sitting near, became so inquisitive, so being in doubt he gave 30 cents. 

"Mother had a fine roast chicken dinner for us when we got home."

Monday, November 6, 1916 -
"The wind has blown at about a 60 mile gait all day and gives me that tired feeling.  But really it was very straining to hang out and take down clothes in such a wind.

"I baked some oatmeal cookies and made corn fritters for supper and have been tatting this evening.  Nothing very exciting, but I suppose tomorrow will make up for it.  Mother is sending me to the Ladies Aid dinner with eats, and I'll probably serve.  Papa says I must help distribute some of the numerous cards he has on hand but gave me strict orders not to let him catch me 'loafin' with no Democrat.'  Ha! 

Aunt Ruth's Corn Fritters
2 eggs
1 can cream style corn
1 teaspoon salt
2 rounded teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 cups flour (approximate)
Hot fat for deep frying

1.  Beat eggs in a bowl and add corn, salt, baking powder, and enough flour to make stiff dough. 
2.  Let stand a few minutes.  Drop spoonfuls in hot deep fat, rolling over as they brown.  Do not cook too quickly.
3.  Serve hot with syrup or butter.  Perfect with fried chicken.

Note:  If fresh corn is used, grate from the cob and add 1 Tablespoon milk to each cup of grated corn.  
   - from The Woodbury Larder: A Legacy published by Phyllis Woodbury Bryant
 
You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post:
http://www.starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2012/06/patience-corners-quilt-block.html

3 comments:

  1. I look forward to reading every entry! Amazing how much emotional depth and social activity there actually was on these little farms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your quilt, the linen is a nice touch! Also I love how Papa's have not really changed through the years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a little behind on reading blogs, but I'm catching up on yours!!

    Papa - what a guy!!! Did you know him - or did your grandmother tell stories about him? He sounds like a neat fellow!!

    Yum, Yum corn fritters!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!