Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Turkey Tracks Quilt Block, Version II


This 12" Turkey Tracks block is the 8th block in my Starwood Sampler Quilt.  I found the pattern in Eleanor Burns' book Egg Money Quilts.  I set it on point to make a 16" block overall.   

We see a wild turkey in our yard nearly every spring.  Males can get up to 4' tall, so they're an imposing sight.  Our ponderosa pine and scrub oak forest is a perfect habitat for them, notes author Mary Taylor Gray in The Guide to Colorado Birds


I keep chicken scratch ready to scatter on the ground once I've sighted a turkey.  I discovered a male roosting on our deck once, although I know that family groups normally roost in trees at night.   I was washing dishes several years ago and just happened to look out the kitchen window.  Walking single file across our yard was a tom turkey with his harem of six females.  What an amazing sight!  

My husband took these pictures in our backyard.



I made another version of a Turkey Tracks block for my Farmer's Daughter Quilt.  It's a 9" paper pieced block.  If you'd like to compare the two blocks, here's the link:   http://starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2012/05/turkey-tracks-quilt-block.html  
 
 
You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post:

5 comments:

  1. Love this turkey tracks block and your colours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colors of your block!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That turkey is some fancy walker!
    Having grown up with all kinds of wildlife, Tokyo is like a desert but with crows. Don't have to feed them, they help themselves to whatever they want. (and they are BIG and imposing).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great block. Would love to see the turkey family.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!