Sunday, January 6, 2013

Rolling Stone Quilt Block


This 12" Rolling Stone quilt block is the 15th block of my Starwood Sampler Quilt, made to tell the story of my home and community.  I made it as a block of the month with my quilting group, The Persian Pickles.  I added some extra blocks to mine to fit a king-sized bed.  This is one of my extra blocks.  I found the pattern for this Rolling Stone block here:  http://www.jinnybeyer.com/quilting-with-jinny/design-board/detail.cfm?blockid=24.  Measurements are included for making a 6", 10", or 12" block.  Alternate blocks in my quilt are set straight and on point.  This block is set on point using the blue fabric.   


We have a huge granite boulder behind our home.  When we built our home, our builder hit rock when he began to excavate our basement.  We ended up having to hire a dynamite crew from another town to blast the boulders beneath the ground so we could have a basement.  We were paying the crew by the hour, so it was rather unnerving to wonder how much it would cost.  We were afraid we might end up with a large, boulder-less hole in the ground with no money left to build our home!  Fortunately, that didn't happen.   



Going to hunt for and cut down a Christmas tree in our backyard

That's a bobcat under our boulder - taken from a distance!

Here's a recipe for some cookies that my mother always makes at Christmas.  I grew up with homemade cookies always in my home.

Russian Rocks
1 cup shortening
1-1/2 cups brown sugar
3 eggs
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon cloves
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2-3/4 cup flour
3 cups raisins
4 cups chopped nuts

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2.  Cream shortening and sugar until light.  Beat in eggs and water until light and fluffy.
3.  Add baking soda, cloves, and cinnamon and mix well.  Add flour and beat until well mixed.  
4.  Stir in raisins and nuts.
5.  Drop by teaspoon on ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake for 12 minutes or until lightly browned.  Makes 6 dozen. 


You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post:
http://www.starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2013/01/bright-hopes-quilt-block.html

2 comments:

  1. I wanted to tell you what an inspiration you have been to me - I have been following you (by email) for quite some time. Your blog entries make me want to get up off my duff and do something creative! I started my own blog at www.LauraSewsStuff.com and I have actually been getting stuff done lately. Thanks very much! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That block really needed to be set on point so the stone could be rolled. The hill I grew up on was all shale. Good for fossil hunting but not so picturesque as that big bolder. I love the cat picture. That fella wasn't worried about the stone rolling over on him.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!