Friday, February 1, 2013

February Redwork Snowman


The old Roman calendar was a ten-month moon-cycle calendar, with a couple of nameless moon cycles left over in mid-winter.  Each new year started in spring with the growing season.  Rome's second king, Numa Pompilius, took those sixty blank days and made two new months out of them.  February comes from the Latin word "februum" meaning "purification."  February was the month of purifying rites, to start the new year on the farm with a clean slate where the gods were concerned. 

February Twilight
                                    
                                     I stood beside a hill
                                          Smooth with new-laid snow,
                                     A single star looked out
                                          From the cold evening glow.

                                     There was no other creature
                                          That saw what I could see -
                                     I stood and watched the evening star
                                          As long as it watched me.
                                                                  Sara Teasdale

"Life, like a coin, always has two sides.  If I turn the February coin over, I find that we have had time for many pleasant things while the weather was bad.  Trying out a new recipe which is one of the fancy, time-consuming ones, for example.  Or re-reading a favorite book which we already practically know by heart.  Or writing leisurely letters to friends."  Gladys Taber

Here's a fancy, new recipe for you - although not a time-consuming one!  I got it from my mother.  She says, "This is a nice dish for a company dinner.  The breasts can be prepared for baking ahead of time and refrigerated until time to bake them."
   
Chicken Breasts Parmesan
6 large, boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1-1/2 sticks butter
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1-1/2 cups bread crumbs
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese

1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2.  In a small saucepan, melt the butter.  Add the garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and Dijon mustard.
3.  Mix together the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese.  Put the mixture into a flat pan.
4.  Dip each chicken breast first into the melted butter mixture and then into the crumbs, shaping the chicken breast into an oval as you put it into the crumb mixture.
5.  Place the chicken breasts on a greased baking sheet (with shallow sides) and bake 45-60 minutes, until golden brown. 

You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post:   http://www.starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2013/01/eating-snickerdoodles-while-reading.html                                                                   

12 comments:

  1. I love the quotes. Is the block a pre-printed one?
    I'm not used to seeing mixed upper and lower csas in script,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, I found the patterns free on the internet several years ago. The designer has since died, and all traces of the patterns have disappeared from the internet.

      Delete
  2. I really must start my redwork Christmas quilt, you but me to shame. The recipe sounds lovely, I will have to try it, plus enjoyed all the information etc about this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane! I had fun creating this blogpost.

      Delete
  3. Cousin Susan, you do such beautiful work! And I enjoy reading what you share. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have patterns for the snowmen? If so, I wouldn't mind having them so I can follow along with you thanx :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terry, I found the patterns for the snowmen free on the internet several years ago. I have heard the designer passed away and all signs of her website have disappeared. I'm so sorry that I can't find the patterns anywhere anymore.

      Delete
  5. Audrey aka wanabquilterFebruary 6, 2013 at 8:21 PM

    I love the blocks on this site and I have to ask again how do I get the pattern to do both the snowman and the house blocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audrey, if you look at my reply to Terry above, I said that I found these patterns several years ago free on the internet. However, I have searched and searched, and they are no longer available. I heard that the designer of the snowmen passed away and her website has been removed.

      Delete
  6. Love the snowman and will have to try out the chicken recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Denise. That's what I'm fixing at my house tonight!

      Delete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!