Monday, February 25, 2013

First Discussion of The Persian Pickle Club

State Fair Sunflower Quilt Block

This is our chance to discuss The Persian Pickle Club by Sandra Dallas - the very first book selection of the Quilters' Book Club.  These questions are from the author's website:

The Denver Post called this "A book about how times can never be so hard that they can't be eased when people come together."  How do the gatherings of the Persian Pickle Club ease its members' troubles?

In The Persian Pickle Club, Queenie says, “It was marrying that made women appreciate other women.” Grover is a nice man who listens to Queenie’s fears and shares his own. What do the women characters provide each other?

There are no right or wrong answers.  We come from many different locations and are of different generations - so I'm expecting some differences of opinion!  It wouldn't be much of a discussion if we all feel exactly the same way.  One reason for being in a book club is to hear ideas other than your own and stretch your mind a bit.  Having said this, it is also important to be respectful of each other's opinions.    

I would urge you not to be a lurker.  Enter into the discussion.  We'd love to hear your ideas and thoughts on the book.

A reminder - If you receive my blog posts via email, you will need to click through to my blog to be able to see comments and to respond yourself.

Another reminder - When you comment, you will need to select a profile in order for your comment to show up.  This is to block spammers from taking over.  I originally set it up so that you could comment as "Anonymous," but I ended up with so many spam comments that I couldn't stand it.  You may have seen some very strange comments until I was able to delete them!  They were coming every two minutes one morning.  It takes only a few moments to create a Google or some other account.   

Two more questions tomorrow!

You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post:
http://www.starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2013/02/quilt-blocks-for-persian-pickle-club.html    

8 comments:

  1. Gatherings of The Persian Pickle Club. Sometimes the crosses in life seem insurmountable and so heavy that we can scarcely comprehend how to carry them. If just one friend, stops by, says hello, gives a hug, speaks a kind word, we seem to garner strength to journey on. In those very moments we get a glimpse of the crosses that others have to bear. Somehow knowing we aren't alone, that others, too, struggle, seems to lighten the load somehow. We'll get through these times together and catch joy where we can and share it, despite those that always see the cup as half empty.
    When one marries, even if it is to the love of your life, other married women understand the tasks of the everyday of married life better it seems. Men see the world in compartmentalized fashion with the focus on the big picture. Women see life in complex interconnected threads, the details of the everyday, cleaning, cooking, nurturing, etc., etc. are connected to children, the home, the neighborhood, the school, the church, the community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts, Mama T! I agree with you that just knowing that we aren't alone - that someone hears and understands - makes such a difference. I don't know what I'd do without my women friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clearly, during that period, the times were hard for everyone. The members knew who was having problems and rushed to give support ... even if they were not pleased with that other person's choices. Knowing your friends will support you no matter what must be such a blessing.
    Someone once told me she was against "mixed marriage" when she first met my family. I told her, as far as I was concerned, when a woman marries a man, it's a mixed marriage. The things about my husband that drive me nuts are the same things as my dad did that drove my mother nuts. To that she replied, "Why, dearie, I do believe you are right". My husband speaks English, My Scouting friends, of which there are many, are mostly men, my quilt group has switched to Japanese, and women my age have retired and left the country. I am loving my virtual group of friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very thankful, Julie, to live in a time when there are computers. I am so glad to have connected with you!

      Delete
  4. Susan, I'm not sure how I missed that your were doing this Quilter's Book Club!! I guess just not blogging for awhile and I missed things! Anyway, is it too late for me to join in? I haven't read "The Persian Pickle Club", but ordered the book today, plus the second book also (half.com for 75 cents each). This sounds like so much fun!!! I know I will miss this discussion, but was hoping to catch up with the next one! I do plan to make a blog when I have read the first book, too!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doniene, it is never too late! Anyone can join anytime. We would be absolutely thrilled to have you be part of the Quilters' Book Club! And what a deal you got on the books! If you look on the right side of my blog under Labels, click on Quilters' Book Club and you can read all of the posts so far.

      Delete
  5. Well, I will respond from my own experiences, of course. Women need other women in their life. No matter how good a listener or friend a husband is, is he still a man first and a husband second. And being a man, there are just some things a man will not understand when it comes to his wife's needs and/or concerns. And that's why a woman always needs another female friend or friends in her life. The Persian Pickle Club gave each of these ladies an opportunity to escape to a safe refuge of like-minded friends where all could vent, share and discuss concerns, laugh, cry, and find solace for their troubles, no matter what they were. The fact that they could also quilt together was just icing on the cake. At a woman's--or anyone else's for that matter--lowest times in her life, nothing helps more than to know she is not alone and would always have a friend who cared no matter what. The Persian Pickle Club filled that need in all the member's lives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with several of the previous comments. No matter how supportive a husband/partner you have, female friends give you support and understanding that only they can. We are able to keep contact with friends more easily today, through modern technology and sometimes just a smiley face in a text is enough to let you know you are in their thoughts. Life was so much harder in the period set in the book and the farming community do not live next door, so these gatherings of the Persian Pickle Club would have been extra special. With the added bonus of sharing the love of quilting, the freindship bonds were even stronger. How wonderful to share fabric and to know that each quilt you had, held such memories. Their quilts weren't just a work of art and labour of love. But a symbol of love and friendship.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!