Saturday, July 20, 2013

Corn and Beans Quilt Block and Buying Fresh Produce from Helen's Farm Stand

Corn and Beans Quilt Block

This Corn and Beans block was first published by Hearth and Home.  It's also known as North Wind and Simple Design.  The pattern can be found here.

The Quilters' Book Club is reading and discussing Wedding Ring by Emilie Richards this month.  Take a break from your reading and stop by Helen's farm stand for some fresh produce.  Then enjoy this recipe for Cheesy Squash Casserole!

Cheesy Squash Casserole
2 pounds yellow squash
1 tablespoon dried onion
4 tablespoons butter
½ cup milk
1 cup cracker crumbs
1-1/2 cups grated cheese
2 slightly beaten eggs
Salt and pepper to taste
 
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2.  Cut squash in ½ slices and cook in a 3-quart saucepan in a small amount of water just until tender.
3.  Pour off water and mash.
4.  Add remaining ingredients and combine thoroughly.
5.  Put in greased 1-1/2 quart casserole, top with additional cracker crumbs and dot with little bits of butter.
6.  Bake for 30 minutes, or until browned and bubbling.

Nancy and Billy met while Nancy was working at Helen's farm stand one summer.  The circumstances behind their wedding and their differing family circumstances made such an impact on Nancy that every moment she struggled to prove herself worthy of her husband.  Do you think marriages like this can survive?  Inquiring minds want to know!  Answer in the comments section below.  By commenting, you are entering your name in a giveaway for Clare O'Donohue's book, The Devil's Puzzle, part of her Someday Quilts Mystery Series.  Plume Books has generously offered copies of Clare's book for TWO lucky winners this month.  
  
As a heads up, the Quilters' Book Club selection for August is Between Heaven and Texas by Marie Bostwick.  Plan now to join us next month as we read, discuss, and quilt together! 
  
You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post here.

13 comments:

  1. It's hard to say if marriages like that can survive or not. With both people working on it there is a chance. It has a good chance though.

    I loved this book and that recipe will be made soon. I live in the middle of corn country (as I put it) in Illinois and love that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also can't wait to read the next book because I have made a couple of the blocks from the “Between Heaven and Texas” Blog Hop that was done. It will be fun to read the actual book now. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed Wedding Ring and all the 'personalities'. The type of marriage that Nancy and Billy had would be difficult, but not impossible.
    I just purchased the next book club offering. Hope to be able to start it on time. Have 2 other books going right now, non fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marriage is hard no matter the circumstances; you have to work on it all the time. I am just starting the book again. I just finished Marie Bostwick and it is super. I read all of Clare O'Donohue's also. I listen to auto books when I can find. That way I can 'read' as I sew!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I speak from the perspective of a very mixed marriage. I am often amazed how quickly others will throw in the towel and give up. Any relationship takes patience and understanding and acceptance from all parties. We build on our strengths to overcome our weaknesses. I see great strengths in the women in this story and I am hopeful the book will come to a rewarding end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All marriages take work! And sometimes you have to do it twice to get it right! "Ran" into your blog today and I hope I can participate in the reading and quilting! I'm always looking for new books to read, I don't need to start more quilting projects but what the heck, it could be fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Linda that all marriages take work - just some more than others. I agree with Julie F -We build on our strengths to overcome our weaknesses. Many times we overlook our strengths while focusing on our weaknesses. I think that using our strengths comes with self-confidence & experience. Believe in yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A marriage succeeds or fails because of the commitment that the husband and wife make to one another. Are some marriages more difficult due to extraneous circumstances, to be sure. A good marriage is a daily recommitment on both parties. It's a 100% give from both sides.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it depends on the people if the circumstances are the same. Most of them to what I have witnessed, do not. Shotgun weddings are not the best and they can work..just all depends on the people.

    Coming from two different sides of the tracks is much more easier to deal with than a shotgun wedding.

    Now about that farm stand. LOL! I had twelve tomato plants growing. With all the abundance of rain..yes..it is still raining here daily for a couple of months now...some plants are rotting. Squash is trying to hang on but no fruit yet from them. I made a trip to the local farmers market for vine ripened tomatoes last week. I could not stand it any longer. Just had to have some non-greenhoused tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think any marriage can survive.... if the two involved remember why they married each other in the first place and not worry to much about what the 'outside' world thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Any marriage, no matter the differences, can work if both people are willing to make the effort and to communicate effectively. Love your corn and beans fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree that any marriage can survive as long as there is commitment & good communication. So sad that Nancy spent her life trying to live as someone other than her true self. I enjoyed reading about the various relationships as they repaired & grew.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Who can say whether or not a marriage will last. Although the were initially married due to commitment I think that he respected her and later grew to love her. She just never felt good enough. Often relationships fail due to lack of communication. It is such a shame that they didn't feel that they could discuss their feeling earlier. He obviously preferred the real Nancy!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!