Friday, August 30, 2013

Wedding Bouquet Quilt Block, Wedding Mints, and Wedding Bells

Wedding Bouquet Quilt Block

In the free, online Quilters' Book Club, we've been reading Between Heaven and Texas by Marie Bostwick in August.  We're wrapping up our discussion in these final days of the month.  Enjoy some mints as we talk about the weddings that happen in the book!

Wedding Cream Cheese Mints
2 pounds powdered sugar
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
Assorted food coloring
Assorted flavorings

1.  Combine powdered sugar and cream cheese in a mixer bowl and beat well.
2.  Divide the mixture into four balls.  Work with just one ball at a time and put the remaining balls into individual plastic bags so they don’t dry out.
3.  Add food coloring and flavoring, one drop at a time.  Knead by hand until you get the color you want.  Remember, you can always add, but you can never take away!
3.  Roll into little balls.  Dip into sugar and press into rubber candy molds.
4.  Unmold onto cookie sheet that has been covered with wax paper.  Allow to dry and harden.

Can be made ahead of time and frozen until the wedding.  I usually make four different colors and flavors of mints – white or yellow with lemon flavoring, pink with peppermint, green with wintergreen, etc.
 
As the story opens, Mary Dell is only minutes away from walking down the aisle to marry Donny, but she is having second thoughts.  Why was she so hesitant to go through with the wedding?  Were her concerns legitimate, or was this just a normal case of wedding jitters?  Have you been or known a bride who had second thoughts in the days or hours before a wedding ceremony?

Lydia Dale and Graydon were in love once and planned to marry. However, circumstances and miscommunication got in the way of their plans.  Now that circumstances have thrown them back together again, Lydia Dale and Graydon are very different people than they were previously.  What has changed about them?  Are those changes for the better or the worse? 

Inquiring minds want to know your thoughts on these questions!  By commenting on either or both questions, you are entering your name in a giveaway of a fabulous prize pack containing Wedding Ring, Endless Chain, Lover’s Knot (first three books of the Shenandoah Album Series) and Mountain Away, all by Emilie Richards - courtesy of Harlequin!

Our September book is The Goodbye Quilt by Susan Wiggs.  Order it now from your library or local book store, so you can join us in our discussion next month!  You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post here.
 

6 comments:

  1. I have had second thoughts on many things but not who and when I married. It was interesting to watch the changes taking place in the course of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful block and I love those wedding mints. We ordered a lot for my graduation party. I wished that we had ordered more as they were so delicious. Now, I have the recipe. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Second thoughts...hmmmm. Often. Even my marriage that has lasted 48yrs and counting. 8-) I really have enjoyed all the books that you have chosen for us. Thanks. Gotta download the next one tonight, after I attend a wedding that I hope will result in a long term and happy marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have known others with the jitters but not myself. I am still waiting for the book to come in.

    I made those mints 28 years ago for my brothers wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter got engaged soon after college graduation. My husband. while not vehemently against it, kept encouraging her to take time to live on her own, learn to manage her income and so forth. She couldn't see why so wedding plans progressed. Church, hall, band, dresses (even mine) were ready to go. One evening she walked into my office and said, " Dad was right." After she explained that she now understood why she needed time on her own and that she and her fiancé had decided to wait I remember thinking where's a tape recorder when you need one? I would have loved to have those words "dad was right" on tape! (All turned out well. She lived on her own for a year, married him, and they've been married for 18 years.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it is natural to have second thoughts. I married someone that I'd known for 11 years before we married, and now we've been married almost 26 years. I had second thoughts, but, only briefly. Mary Dell had only known Danny for a very short time. She SHOULD have been thinking hard about what she was doing. As for her sister, both Lydia Dale and Graydon made mistakes before. Those mistakes made lasting affects in each of their lives. All of us grow and change, that doesn't mean that we can't find a new 'meeting place' in a relationship. It requires work, as all relationships do. Anything worth having is worth working for.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!