Friday, October 11, 2013

Envelope Motif Quilt Block for My Curl Up with a Good Book Quilt


Each Friday, I'm posting a block of my Curl Up with a Good Book Quilt, which I'm making as part of the online Quilters' Book Club.  This 12" Envelope Motif block represents the book Alice's Tulips by Sandra Dallas, which we read and discussed in May 2013.  Since the book is composed of letters that Alice wrote to her sister Lizzie, I thought this Envelope Motif block represented it perfectly!   
 
In the Quilters' Book Club, we read and discuss a quilt novel each month and then make a quilt block to represent each book.  I have long admired red and white quilts so decided to keep it simple and go with just two fabrics, Kona Snow and Kona Rich Red, for my blocks.
 
This pattern first appeared in the Kansas City Star in 1942 and can be found free online at Quilters Cache here.
 
 
 
Here's another version that I created for my Farmer's Daughter Quilt.
 
In October, we're reading and discussing State Fair: a Benni Harper Mystery by Earlene Fowler.  Grab this book from your local library or bookstore and join the free, online Quilters' Book Club for our monthly book discussion and sew-along. 
 
When you were growing up, did you have a pen pal?  Inquiring minds want to know!  Answer in the comment section below.  If you are reading via email, you must first click on the blog title to be able to comment and read the comments of others.  

By commenting, you are entering your name in a give-away for a $20 gift certificate to Fat Quarter Shop. 

 
You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post here.

8 comments:

  1. That red and white block is simply gorgeous. Another one for my bucket list.

    Thank you so much for sharing.

    Jocelyne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did have a pen pal but she was not so good at writing back. Much more fun was a flat Stanley that I did for a young kid, adopted from Russia to a family in New Hampshire, Stanley and I went to all kinds of places together and it showed me a way to look at the things around me with the eyes of a child on an adventure. We spent a whole year together and wrote at least once a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a pen pal from the time I was 6 years old.
    My dad passed away so my mum family had to move to the city so my mum could get help from my grandparents. I had just started school and had to move.
    We kept in contact and she ended up being my maid of honour at my wedding 30 years ago.
    We were also in contact when we both had our first child.
    We have since lost contact. Hopefully we one day will find each other

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had a pen pal. Thanks for the block idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always wanted a penpal, we read about them in the 'Weekly Reader', but I never had a penpal.
    My parents didn't encourage anything that might cost money, farming fed up well, but didn't leave much for extras and postage would have been an 'extra' at that time. 8=)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did have a pen pal....I thought it was the coolest thing ever!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!