Saturday, November 2, 2013

November Redwork Snowman

 
 “Novem” means “nine” in Latin.  November was the ninth month in the old Roman calendar, which named only ten months and which began in the spring with March.  November 11 was considered the beginning of winter. 

November Comes

November comes
And November goes,
With the last red berries
And the first white snows.

With night coming early,
And dawn coming late,

And ice in the bucket
And frost by the gate.

The fires burn And the kettles sing,
And earth sinks to rest
Until next spring.

- Clyde Watson

 Caramel Popcorn
5-6 quarts popped corn
1 cup (2 sticks) margarine
2 cups brown sugar
½ cup white corn syrup
1 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups raw peanuts
1 teaspoon baking soda

1.  Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
2.  Place popcorn in a large, oven-proof container.
3.  Combine margarine, brown sugar, syrup, salt, and peanuts in a 3-quart saucepan and bring to a boil.  Boil for five minutes, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and add soda.  Pour over popcorn and toss gently to mix well.  Bake for 1 hour, stirring two or three times while baking.
4.  Remove from oven and pour on cookie sheets or wax paper to cool.
 
 



 You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post here.

8 comments:

  1. I love the poems and hymns you post each week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the poem. I looked up the author and I'm not sure but I believe this a "penny rhyme". Like your blog, just started following.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I'm curious what a "penny rhyme" is. I've never heard of it. I tried e-mailing you personally, but you are a no-reply commenter.

      Delete
    2. When I looked up Clyde Watson I found she is a musician and educator. She wrote a book titled "Father Fox's Penny Rhymes". They are poems like the one you included. Her sister, Wendy, illustrates her books with drawings brushed with water colors. She has written a few other books as well.

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much, Linda! I love learning things like this. I'm going to do more research. I discovered that my local library has some of her poetry books, illustrated by her sister.

      Delete
  3. Wow on those photo's and the block is great too..oh..and the poem is great too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your recipe is very close to my recipe. I've never added peanuts to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These caramel pop corns sound very similar to our "lolly gobble bliss bombs"

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!