Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Pink Ribbon Quilt Block and Themes of Healing, Forgiveness, and Trust in The Healing Quilt


 
Do you love to quilt AND love to read?  I invite you to join the free, online Quilters' Book Club.  Each month, we read a book, discuss it through comments on my blog posts, and then make a quilt block to represent that book.  I research several potential blocks to go with the book's themes, setting, main characters, and events.  And I find the patterns free on the internet, making it easy for everyone to access.  Each member can choose the block or blocks they'd like to make.

To join, all you need to do is become a follower of my blog so you won't miss any blog post.  To make it convenient, you can also sign up for my posts to be delivered right to you via email.  It is never too late to join and begin reading and sewing along with us.  

I have chosen to make my quilt blocks out of only two fabrics, Kona Snow and Kona Rich Red.  And I have a name for my quilt.  It will be called my "Curl Up with a Good Book Quilt."  But, please feel free to choose whatever fabrics you'd like to use for your quilt, especially fabrics from your stash.  We quilters are such creative people.  I can't wait to see what we all create!

If you check out the book each month from your local library and use fabric from your stash, there will be no cost at all to you!        

Our book to read and discuss during January 2014 is The Healing Quilt by Lauraine Snelling.  Get the book from your local library or bookstore and join us!  It's also available on Kindle

In The Healing Quilt, there are two overriding themes.  The first is the theme of friendship.  The second is the theme of healing, forgiveness, and trust.  If you'd like to create a quilt block representing this second theme, click on the block names to take you to the free pattern:

Bright Hopes Quilt Block shown below

Pink Ribbon Quilt Block shown above

Star of Hope Quilt Block

These are just suggestions.  If you have another idea, please use it!  Each person's quilt will end up uniquely their own!

 
Have you or a friend ever gone through a serious illness?  How did you handle it?  Inquiring minds want to know!  Participate in our discussion and answer in the comment section below.  You'll also be entered to win a hardcover copy of Prayers for Sale by Sandra Dallas.  If you are reading this via email, you must click on the title of my blog post to be able to comment and read the comments of others.  

You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post Snowball Quilt Block and The Simple Woman's Daybook.

11 comments:

  1. These are some nice blocks.

    I have just put up my finished quilt from the blocks I made while reading State Fair.

    http://jobutterfield.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/teddy-bears-in-bed-under-patchwork-quilt.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are beautiful, Jo! They are worth checking out, everyone!

      Delete
  2. Illness seems part of my familys life at times...especially when diabtes, high blood pressure and cancer seem to be threaded throughout our history. So far it has missed me but it did take several family members. How did I handle it? I think with my brother I just blanked out at times and then woke up when I inherited a little bit of money from him. That money I used in shopping therapy. He always encouraged me to do whatever craft I was doing at the time (cross stitch, needlework, quilting, etc.) so I took the money and bought the AccuQuilt GO! and some dies for it as well as fabric. Every time I use the GO! I think of him and every time I can't find "the" fabric I need I blame him. It's almost like he's still there with me (grins).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure your brother would be thrilled that you bought an AccuQuilt Go! What a wonderful story, Bonni!

      Delete
  3. My son had cancer and went through bone marrow transplant. It was a really trying couple of years while he was fighting the cancer. What made it worse was the fact that my husband and his father died 1 week after he was diagnosed. But we all put our faith in God and with many prayers and great doctors, he came through it and has been cancer free for over 8 years. We are so blessed and adding to that blessing is the granddaughter he gave me after having been told he was sterile due to chemo. She is a big blessing to all of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine that it was a very trying couple of years, Fran. What a difficult time for you! So very happy that he's cancer free and that you now have a granddaughter!

      Delete
  4. I'm a twelve year survivor of breast cancer!
    Jeanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My twin brother, my mother, and my "foster" daughter all died of cancer and the hardest part for me was being so far away and unable to offer any support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How difficult for you to be so far away. I'm sure they felt your support, but I know that's different from actually being there.

      Delete
  6. A good friend just finished her last treatment for breast cancer. The last year has been very difficult for her. We kept in touch and I was able to help out on occasion as did several other friends. One thing that she loved was a heart pillow that I made for her. Our guild made them for patients at a local hospital. Shaped like a heart, they can be put under the patients arm and relieve presure on the surgery site.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!