Tuesday, March 4, 2014

March Wind Quilt Block and Emily Dickinson

March Wind Quilt Block Pattern Information

Dear March, Come In!

Dear March, come in!
How glad I am!
I looked for you before.
Put down your hat -
You must have walked -
How out of breath you are!
Dear March, how are you?
And the rest?
Did you leave Nature well?
Oh, March, come right upstairs with me,
I have so much to tell!


Hope

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all.

And sweetest in the gale is heard -
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.

I've heard it in the chilliest land,
And on the strangest sea -
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.

by Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)



Do you have a favorite poem by Emily Dickinson?  Inquiring minds want to know!  By commenting, you'll be entering to win a copy of A Time for Peace (Quilts of Lancaster County) by Barbara Cameron.  If you are reading this via email, you must click on the title of my blog post to be able to comment and read the comments of others.  The winner will be announced on April 1.

You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post Cats and Mice Quilt Block and Call the Midwife Season 2.

4 comments:

  1. Certainly "Hope" os one of the better known. I kind of like "Autumn" or the one about setting out to sea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to look at the block carefully to see how it is put together. Most unusual!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a copy of Hope hanging above my desk at school when I taught. We studied her poems but I don't remember the names.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily is one of my favorites. I don't have a poem that is my favorite. She writes so well.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!