Friday, May 2, 2014

Quilters' Book Club Selection for May and Three Winners!


Do you love to quilt AND love to read?  I invite you to join the free, online Quilters' Book Club.  Each month, we read a book, discuss it through comments on my blog posts, and then make a quilt block to represent that book.  I research several potential blocks to go with the book's themes, setting, main characters, and events.  And I find the patterns free on the internet, making it easy for everyone to access.  Each member can choose the block or blocks they'd like to make.

To join, become a follower of my blog so you won't miss any blog post.  To make it super convenient, you can also sign up for my posts to be delivered right to you via email.  It is never too late to join and begin reading and sewing along with us.     


Our book to read and discuss during May 2014 is THESE IS MY WORDS: THE DIARY OF SARAH AGNES PRINE by Nancy E. Turner.  It's historical fiction set in the Arizona Territory from 1881-1901.  The author based the book on the life of her great-grandmother.  Get the book from your local library or bookstore and join us!  It's also available on Kindle right here. 

 
"This novel in diary format parallels the early history of the Arizona Territories as Sarah and her family travel from the New Mexico Territory and settle down to carve out a new life on a ranch near Tucson in the 1880s. Sarah's diary, based on the author's family memoirs, is a heartwarming and heartbreaking fictional account of a vibrant and gifted young woman. Sarah starts out as an illiterate, fiery 17 year old. Eventually, her writing becomes as smooth and polished as Sarah herself as she becomes a tenacious, literate, and loving wife and mother. Life in the new country brings the constant fear of Indian raids and the threat and reality of floods, fire, and rattlesnakes.  Sarah centers her world around her home and family but maintains an independent spirit that keeps her whole and alive throughout her many trials and heartaches."  from School Library Journal

* * * * * * And We Have Our Winners for April * * * * * *
 

Shar, Ellen, and Janet 
 are the winners of a copy of
Apart at the Seams, Marie Bostwick's just-released novel
and the sixth in her Cobbled Court Quilt series,
courtesy of Kensington Publishing

Congratulations! 
Send your mailing address to starwoodquilter@gmail.com
and we will get your prize right out to you!

Have you ever read a novel written in the form of a diary?  Inquiring minds want to know!


You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post Bouquet Quilt Block and May Day 1916.

4 comments:

  1. I finished this book last weekend. As I got towards the end, I couldn't put it down. Now I'm reading the next book in the series. I'll read these books again. The only other book I can think of, that is in diary form, is the Diary of Anne Frank, which I have read several times. I'm sure there have been others, I just can't remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read this month's book. It's interesting to view an entire story from one viewpoint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading a novel right now that is in the form of a diary. It's called Primrose Past by Caroline Rose Hunt and is the 1848 journal of young Lady Primrose in England.
    kellam.susan@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am enjoying "These is my words"and especially the individual slant on the events that comes from having just one person's view. And what a feisty young lady Miss Sarah Prine is! I have read other books in the diary form, but can't for the life of me recall any titles!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!